The electrics in the new house scare me slightly. Just replacing bulbs with energy efficient LED and CFL bulbs has revealed a whole bunch of hidden problems. The electric shock off the porch light was interesting, though I couldn’t feel my arm for an hour (lighting circuit power was turned off); but the second kitchen lights are type of what I can expect here and what needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
Placed directly on top of a 12V halogen bulb this component is toast. I am surprised that there was not a fire or at least a loud bang. Previous owners of the house seemed to have continued on oblivious to their bodges though. Let’s hope I can get around to fixing it all before one of the bodges comes to bite me.